laugardagur, mars 24, 2007

Blogspot with topic on Icelandic music of the fifties & sixties

After getting some hints from other bloggers and doing some more research for myself Ifound a few old songs from Iceland. though I must say I'm not quite satisfied yet - neither with the quantity nor with the quality.
Judging from what I found yet the Icelandic music scene was pretty traditional and folkloristic in the 1950s and 1960s. in a boring way sadly. But I'll keep watching out. There has to be something...a few nice songs I was able to spot anyway.
The cutest song by now definitely is by Jóhann Möller og Tónasystur, called "pabbi vill mambó" (daddy wants to mambo).
Aso quite nice is "lipurtá" by Ragnar Bjarnason while Sigrún Jónsdóttir's "fjórir kátir þrestir" is a little bit too easy cheesy la-la-la in my opinion. And even though I never really got into the original song I also put up "jói jóns" by SAS Tríóið, which is an Icelandic cover of "Louie Louie".
All songs are taken from the second part of the "óskalögin" compilation series.

There are nine double cd's retrospecting the Icelandic music scene through the decades. Available for download at www.tonlist.com, cd's at www.skifan.is - but the first few cd's are sold out.
Other interesting cd's seem to be the "svona var ...."-cd's which review the music of Iceland year to year from 1952 to 1966. They are cheaper at www.dutyfree.is - but they don't mailorder and you'll have to pick them up at reykjavik airport. Dammit!

Listen:
Jóhann Möller og Tónasystur - pabbi vill mambó (1955)
SAS Tríóið - jói jóns (louie louie) (1959)
Sigrún Jónsdóttir - fjórir kátir þrestir (1961)
Ragnar Bjarnason - lipurtá (1966)

Source:
http://frechefruechtchen.blogspot.com/2007/03/icelandic-music.html

Engin ummæli: