sunnudagur, mars 09, 2008

Interview with Ólafur Josephsson of Stafrænn Håkon: I don't listen to Björk

Interview (2002) with Ólafur Josephsson of Stafrænn Håkon
Where and when were you born?
Born in Reykjavík, January 31st 1977.
Hometown?
Reykjavík, Iceland.
Do you remember how you first got into music?
When I got my Shakin Stevens tape when I was like 5 yrs old.
Are there other musicians in your family?
My grandfather plays some piano and my other grandfather played trumpet I think.
Your musical background?
Actually there is none.... Just some college band I played in... maybe I'm just experience that period now!!!
How did your interest in music and composing begin?
I always been a fan of music, just listening to tons of wonderful music I just started playing, creating my own tones.
You are playing the guitar? Why you chose this?
Guitar is such a great tool. It's such a complex instrument that you can create some magic sounds out of. I always try to find some way to create something new out of my guitar every time I'm playing.
What styles of music do you prefer to listen to?
I just listen to all kinds of music. I don't prefer classic or pop-rock!!! I just listen to whatever sounds exciting. I prefer all styles.
What bands/artists/composers were your early favourites and influences?
I started listening to music "seriously" when I was like 13. Artists that were the biggest influence on me were like Velvet Underground, David Bowie, Bob Dylan, Rolling Stones (1968-1975 era) and the Pixies.
What was the first Post-Rock or Electronic music album or concert you listened to?
Can't remember. We didn't have any concerts around here. If I have to name some concert, then I remember seeing Sigur Rós, Stilluppsteypa, Curver and some other bands at my school in 1995. It was very experimental and I it was quite interesting then. Sigur Rós playing at Ingólfstorg in Reykjavík in the summer of 1997 was really something.
Your first band you played with?
Band called Sullaveiki Bandormurinn which was found in a biology class at school. We only played one time live, but we were playing together for 3 years or so. Actually when I play live, all of the members from that band are playing with me.
What do you think of the current music scene in Iceland?
It's pretty interesting. Lots of good bands/artists around. The scene is just so small over here. It's quite hard for bands to get their albums released on Icelandic labels.
Which band is the most popular or innovative in Iceland right now: Björk, Sigur Rós or Múm?
I would say Sigur Rós, because of their unique style. They've created their own thing that is not similar to anything else. They are definitely pioneers. Múm have also done a similar thing, but not as prominent.
Which of Björk's albums you rated as her best?
I don't listen to Björk.
Is "Vespertine" by Björk more popular than "Ágætis Byrjun" by Sigur Rós in Iceland?
??? don't know.... I guess Sigur Rós is more popular.
Had you participated in the Dr. Gunni's poll "The Best Icelandic Albums Of Last Century" for his coffee table book about Icelandic rock music "Eru Ekki Allir I Studi?"? Did you agree with the results of 200 "professional people" and 4000 "regular people"?
Sigur Rós
- "Ágætis Byrjun"
Björk - "Debut"
Megas & Spilverk Þjóðanna - "A bleikum nattkjolum"
etc.
No I didn't... I think he just did the list by himself ?? But I'm not sure, so I didn't even get a chance doing that !!!! Well I haven't listened to all of the albums on the list.... but Spilverk Þjóðanna are great lots of stuff on there... Instead of Spilverk Þjóðanna at #3 I would have put Hinn Íslenzki Þursaflokkur - "Þursabit"...
Your Top 10 Icelandic albums of all time?
Here are some... but I guess I will forget something though...
Lárus Sigurðsson - "Jarðhörpusálmar"
Sigur Rós - "Ágætis Byrjun"
Hinn Íslenzki Þursaflokkur - "Þursabit"
Sofandi - "Ugly Demos"
Bag Of Joys - "Nú á ég vermand vini"
Múm - "Yesterday Was Dramatic, Today is OK"
Sigur Rós - "Von"
Gunnar Jökull - "Hamfarir"
Curver - "Haf"
Náttfari - "demo"
Lárus Sigurðsson - "Encounters"
Which other bands in Iceland are very innovative? Borko, Dr. Heckle & Mr. Jive, Kuai, Sofandi?
Sofandi
are great. Their album "ugly demos" was the best Icelandic record of 2001 for sure. Borko (Iceland) I've heard once live, and he's quite Múmish. Kuai are also pretty good. Dr. Heckle & Mr. Jive, haven't heard them. Sofandi are the most innovative of these bands. There is a band called Náttfari that are brilliant. Kimono is also quite good.
Your opinion about Rymi, Trabant and Úlpa?
I've heard Trabant and Úlpa, but not Rymi... Trabant are pretty good though I've only heard them live once and Úlpa are also pretty good, but only heard them live so far.
I heard a track by Leaves on BBC WS this year. Maybe next big (pop) thing from Iceland?
Haven't heard much... but what I've heard sounds poppy and that's not bad at all !!!! I guess they'll be more popular in this year... getting bigger....
Do you know what is Heida of ex Unun doing?
Probably baking pancakes or working as a truckdriver... No I'm not sure... I think she's doing her own stuff... I really don't care or know anything about her !!!!!!!!!!
What means Stafrænn Håkon?
Actually Stafrænn means Digital. Håkon is just a name!!!! So Håkon is digital (!!!), but he's not in fact... That's because he's called Stafrænn Håkon, he's more of like analog Håkon in fact!!!! The name is just funny, so I started using it... doesn't mean anything to me!!!
Do you find composing easy or difficult?
Both. It depends in what kind of shape you are. Mostly it's just coincidence, something just happens and suddenly a song is born.
Have you a need for inspiration to compose?
Not necessarily. Most of the music is just compiled energy from some period in my life, that explodes into sounds or something.
How did you inspire yourself to compose?
Don't have certain thing going on for an inspiration. Maybe something comes into my mind and the sounds are like connected to that.
What do you write your songs about?
Whatever. I don't use any song themes or whatever, the sound is the main thing, built with my boiling mind.
How do you write songs?
The melodies are mostly created on my acoustic guitar. Then I make some kind of a drum loop for the main line. Then record the whole thing using my 4-track & CPU, it's as simple as that.
Do you use samples or the laptop playing live?
I always use samples from a cd or mini disc.
What process do you follow: piano, guitar, computer, laptop, tape recorder or writing notes on a paper?
Just whatever, there is nothing specific. The process depends on each song. Some songs are born on the 4-track recorder, some on the piano, but most of the songs are written on guitar.
What difference is between Icelandic and post-rock/Electronic music of the rest of the world?
None I guess. There is just not as much going on over here. Not as many live shows going on, so the bands here are not as well practised as bands from other countries. When bands come over here to play, they are much more tighter than Icelandic bands are. So we should do more practising.
With S. Sammi (g), S. Stulli (bass), S. Kjarri (keyboards) and S. Töddi (trombone B-39: playback) on March 13th you have played at Icelandic Opera House before Godspeed You Black Emperor! Did you know personally musicians of GYBE! before that gig?
I did not know any of them before, and I still don't. I didn't get a chance to even speak to them at all. I spoke a little with one member and he was really nice. And yeah I talked pretty much with the guy on the lights who is the bass player for Fly Pan Am, he's a really nice guy.
Was this your first performance at Icelandic Opera House?
Yes first time I played there, and probably the last. It was pretty weird playing in front of all the people. We only played for like 100 or 200 people before, so this was really something. I mean all the people were quiet and actually listened to the music, most of them were there to hear some music, not to meet other people and drink their beers.
How was the reviews and reaction of the audience after your performance?
I've heard good and bad things about the show we did. That's quite normal, so I don't care actually because I was quite satisfied with our performance.
Who asked you to play before GYBE!?
Kiddi Kanína
asked me to play. He runs the Hljómalind Record store here in Iceland, which is like the only cult record store over here. He's has done lots of things for the music scene over here, and without him the scene would not be the same.
Árni Viðar Thorarinsson of Spur Pópunar about your music wrote to me: "The music is kinda similar to Flying Saucer Attack, sure... only without the vocals. It also reminds me of Windy & Carl, Labradford, Charles Atlas, Papa M and even Godspeed You Black Emperor! & Sigur Rós. Jónsi from Sigur Rós is also quite a fan....." Is it true about Jónsi of Sigur Rós?
I guess he's not a fan, but I've met him few times around here and he told me once that he liked some of the stuff. That really surprised me, didn't know that he bought my records. That's fine if he likes it, a great honour for me since I've been a big fan of his music for a long time.
As you have played with Will Oldham and Godspeed You Black Emperor!, Árni Viðar Thorarinsson wrote, that you are "quite a cult figure in Iceland". Do you agree with him?
I'm not sure of that, well if Árni says so, then it could be true!!!. I'm not trying to though, I just write music my own way, trying to entertain myself and that makes me more enthusiasm creating my own thing. I'm quite happy with my music, it's relaxing and that does it for me. I like slow ambient music, it clears my mind.
Which are your favourite albums you like to listen again and again? Why?
Velvet Underground
"White Light, White Heat" - very inspiring, very raw, just a very cool record.
Nick Drake "Pink Moon" - probably the most emotional record ever made.
Slint "Spiderland" - this is a killer record that really changed my musical interests.
Bob Dylan "Blood On The Tracks" - Dylan just doing such a great songs on this record, especially "Idiot Wind".
My Bloody Valentine "Loveless" - one of the first records I bought that could be considered as indie music.
Neil Young "Unplugged" - best unplugged album I've heard and it's just a wonderful record.
Teenage Fanclub "Catholic Education" - these guys make me happy every time I listen to them, excellent summer music.
Mogwai "Stanley Kubrick" - it's a really beautiful record, actually one of the best EP ever.
Labradford "Mi Media Naranja" - just simply one of the most beautiful ambient albums of all time.
Lárus Sigurðsson "Jarðhörpusálmar" - my favorite Icelandic record.
Aphex Twin "Selected Ambient Works 1 (86-92)" - just so chilling and cool.
The Folk Implosion "One Part Lullaby" - Lou Barlow is the best songwriter ever and this record is the best pop album ever.
Sonic Youth "Evol & Sister" - just so dark and the sounds are stuck in your head for the rest of your life.
Smog "Red Apple Falls" - one of the finest country music I've heard.
Sebadoh "Rockin' The Forest/VS Helmet" - this is just so cool sounding I don't know what to say.
What was the last album you listened?
Górecki
's "III Symfonia". The most beautiful thing I've heard in a long time.
Have you a wish to be among the most innovating and important bands in the world and to beat the band from which you have got the main influence?
I don't think about such things. I just try to have everything as simple as possible, I hate to complicate things. If my music ever gets innovating that's just a great thing. I don't care though. I'm happy about the 50 people who bought my album already in Iceland. The music will probably never get big in any way.
10 your favourite bands/artists/composers of all time?
Nick Drake
Sonic Youth
Lou Barlow (Sebadoh/Sentridoh/Folk Implosion etc)
Teenage Fanclub
Neil Young
Talk Talk
Mogwai
David Pajo
Górecki
Velvet Underground
Low
I am also a big fan of Talk Talk. Which of their albums do you like?
I think Talk Talk are fantastic... I can't make up my mind about which is my fav album of theirs!!!!! I guess at the moment "Spirit of Eden" is my fav.... because I last bought that one... "Laughing Stock" is at the same level as "Spirit of Eden", so they are pretty close sounding !!!! "The Colour of Spring" is also pretty good but not as good...
Your opinion about the last musical year, 2001? How interesting it was for you (maybe you have heard interesting bands or albums)?
There was a lot of interesting things going on last year... Jim O'Rourke's album was fantastic, also the Papa M record. I discovered the brilliant band Explosions In The Sky which are pretty good. Lot's of great albums from 2001... Low, Labradford, and also Tindersticks (the soundtrack they made).
How many concerts you have played in 2001?
I think we played 4 or 5 times.
Have you recorded a session for the BBC or De Avonden/VPRO radio?
No.
Did you do any session for anyone else?
No.
What do you think of Post-Rock & Experimental movement in 2002?
It's always growing bigger, it's probably going to be like the "shoegazing" thing. "Post-Rock" is just so big scene, everything is post rock now, I guess it's just experimental rock or something, don't know though. This movement will explode soon.
Your opinion about The Third Eye Foundation and Hood?
"You guys kill me" by The Third Eye Foundation is a great album, I used to listen to it at some point. I haven't heard Hood that much, just that "Cold House" album I have that, but haven't listen to that much yet.
If you could spend one hour to record a session with either Björk, Sigur Rós, Godspeed You Black Emperor!, Mogwai, Radiohead, Hood, Graham Sutton of Bark Psychosis, who would you choose?
I think I would choose Sigur Rós or Mogwai. Well it would be interesting to play with all these artists!
When did you last cry listening music and what was that music about?
I'm pretty close crying when I listen to "Get On Jolly" by Bonnie Prince Billy & Marquis De Tren. It's such a sad album, also Górecki's "3rd symphony".
Any radio show, magazine, Internet zine or distributor's news holds your interest? Which media you prefer to read?
I usually read the Fakejazz site, and also Pitchfork sometimes. I don't listen to any radio show, sometimes just some special Icelandic shows here like "Alætan" (Dr. Gunni) or "Sour Cream" (Hr. Zíri) or "Rokkland" (Óli Palli) or "Karate" (Andri) , these are the only ones playing some nice music.
Are you involved in any other band or project?
I've been working with an artist called Lárus Sigurðsson. We are going to release some stuff this year together. That music is just total improvised guitar ambient drones. Also I've been playing some guitar with the electro band Ampop.
Did you know that Ampop's track "Made For Market" was played on BBC-1/John Peel on May 21st?
Yes they told me... it's pretty good for them getting aired on John Peel!!!!
How do you feel about these news?
Uhmm ... I guess I'm happy for them... They've been working hard on their recent material and they deserve something like this... they are pretty interesting electronic band that i like... i think their music is exciting and has beautiful sounds!!!
Source:
www.post-rock.lv/files5.htm
Photographs of Stafrænn Håkon on stage @ Organ, Reykjavik (January 2008) by Wim Van Hooste.

Engin ummæli: